Two Separate Cuba-Destined Aid Vessels Declared Lost after Setting Sail from Mexican Waters.
A large-scale search and rescue operation is actively in progress in the Caribbean region for a duo of lost sailboats loaded with relief goods journeying from Mexico to the island of Cuba.
Military Search and Rescue Operations Deployed
Mexico has dispatched navy personnel and reconnaissance aircraft to search for the missing boats, which were transporting no fewer than nine crew members, according to a military release.
The ships had been projected to make landfall in the Cuban capital on either Tuesday or Wednesday, but there has been radio silence from them and no confirmation of their arrival, the navy said.
Context of Humanitarian Support to the Island
The island nation has leaned on humanitarian shipments from Mexico over recent weeks, as the country struggles through multiple national electricity failures.
"Both crews and captains are veteran seafarers, and both vessels are fitted with appropriate safety equipment and communication devices," a representative involved in the effort said.
The nine-person crew are from France, Poland, the United States, and Cuba. Officials said it has been in touch with rescue coordination centers from each country along with their diplomatic representatives.
"We are collaborating completely with the officials and continue to be hopeful in the ability of the crews to safely arrive in Havana," the official further stated.
Earlier Relief Delivery
Just days before, the government in Havana publicly celebrated and officially received another boat that had delivered 14 tons of humanitarian aid to the country.
That boat, called "Granma 2.0" after the yacht in which Fidel Castro came back to Cuba to launch the revolution in the 1950s, delivered photovoltaic panels, pharmaceuticals, formula milk, bicycles and food.
Larger Geopolitical Climate
Non-governmental organizations and volunteers have largely spearheaded initiatives to bring humanitarian aid to Cuba beginning in January, when a fuel embargo on the island nation began.
Global bodies have since warned of "dire" supply shortages, with in excess of 50,000 surgical procedures cancelled in Cuba amid power shortages.
Diplomatic measures have intensified over the past months, with remarks from various officials highlighting the complex nature of relations.
In response to certain statements, a senior government figure insisted that "the socialist system of Cuba is non-negotiable."
Indications suggest that early stages of talks had begun, although their present status remains uncertain.
The Mexican navy said it was pledged to using every available asset at its disposal to locate the vessels and secure the safety of the crews.
As of now, there has been no public statement on the lost ships by the Cuban leadership.